CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Creative Process

I think everyone has their own way to work through the creative process. Some people seem to come up with an idea and everything is instant -- it all comes together. I've had that happen a couple times but it's not my normal pattern. Some people plan it all out, adding a little here and a little there until it suits them. That's happened to me too, but it's not normally how creativity works for me.

My creative process? ....hmmmmm.... where do I begin? I think it starts with inspiration. Usually I'll see something ... it could be a bridge, a flower, a dew drop ... and it will prompt a thought that will become the basis of a new design. Sometimes I sit right down and get my beads out, but normally, I mull it around for a few days or even a few weeks. I try to envision what details I want to bring out in the piece and mentally play around with size, balance and shape. If the inspiration had specific color, that's the starting point for my imagination but I never limit myself. When I finally sit down and start working on the piece, it usually goes together fairly quickly. Once in a while, things don't come out like I expect, so the trial and error part of the process begins. I move things around, shorten them, lengthen them until I achieve the look I want. When I have an arrangement that I'm satisfied with, I put together a prototype. I try it on. If I'm still satisfied, I set the piece on a table and just leave it there.... for days. I look at it in every light and sometimes put it on different fabrics. I sort of "let it soak".

Sometimes, I'll have a creative "dry spell". Usually, I don't worry about it -- a little break can be a good thing. I recently went through a period of creative inactivity. When it was over, I developed 4 new necklace designs in 2 days. They are still "soaking" -- so I'll introduce them in the weeks to come. I'm also mulling around 2 or 3 more necklace designs -- but have to wait for more supplies to get started on prototypes.

Over the next few months, I'll be sharing more about specific pieces in my collection -- what inspired them, how they came to be named and other little tidbits. I'll also share bits and pieces about how I started making jewelry, how I came to be in business and what I'm learning about turning a hobby into a career. It's been a fun journey!

0 comments: